Monday, April 19, 2010

Gold Be Gone

Hold on to your hats!
I am about to show you the MOST BEAUTIFUL sight I have EVER SEEN! Are you ready? Here it is:


The reason this is SO beautiful? Is because these gold/brass ugly door knobs are no longer on my doors!!! I cannot tell you how happy this picture makes me! Oh what bliss!



So--the story goes that besides being REPULSINGLY UGLY--these knobs were no longer functioning either. We pretty much had to break into our own house every time we locked the door--even though we had a key! It was pretty bad.



SO I was able to find some good deals on some pretty brushed silvery looking used door knobs at our local RE-use it store. Then I was lucky enough to find EXACT matches for the rest of the needed knobs at Home Depot! YAY!! So for a VERY reasonable price I was able to get all new knobs for all of our doors! Yippee!!



BUT now I had a problem.



I now had beautiful silvery knobs and BRIGHT BRASSY GOLD HINGES!!! So I looked at replacing them. Did you know those things are super expensive?! They are from $2.50-$5.00 a piece!! And each door needs three!!



SO--despite a lot of peoples misgivings--I turned to my new found best friend: Spray Paint.



I found a color that was a good match:

I tested it on an face plate I wasn't using--and was SUPER happy with the results. So I then went around to each door and took off only one hinge at a time. This way I didn't have to take off the whole door--I just did three rounds of spraying to finish the whole project.


Here are some of the awesome before and after pictures:

Yucky brass hinges awaiting their new look.


After a few coats of paint. Don't they look amazing?



Then--I had the problem of the screws--they were brass too. So I went and bought some new silver screws so I wouldn't have to paint the old ones. Only to not have them work out. SO I came up with this little box to hold all the screws so I could paint just the tops. It worked PERFECTLY and I saved the $8.25 on the new screws.





Here is a great one of a side by side. The old ones were so bad! They had paint (from previous owners not so careful paint jobs) and other scratches and gunk all over them!

But now I think they look great!




And they match the new knobs so well! I don't think anyone will ever know that they aren't the real thing. Oh, how I love you spray paint!




Besides the new knobs, this amazing makeover cost me just over $5
(the cost of one can of spray paint).




***Funny Side Note***
After completing this project and writing up this post--I stumbled across another AWESOME BLOG called Infarrantly Creative where this gal had already done this exact same project! AND SHE EVEN PAINTED HER DOOR KNOBS!!!

HERE is the link to her post--where she explains all of the steps she took and how it all turned out! She did a lot more prep/finish work (sanding/priming/and top coat) because she was doing the knobs as well. For my purposes (since I was only doing the hinges--because I NEEDED to replace my knobs--and hinges really don't get that much wear and tear) I only cleaned the hinges really well and painted them with a good quality paint.

What I thought was funny was how closely we did our projects--without even knowing it! She even made a little contraption to hold all her screws while she painted them--just like I did!

24 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! Turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! What a cheap way to fix a big job, you're a smarty pants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I'd like to redo all of our old brass knobs, hinges, etc with a rubbed oil finish. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. stumbled on your site through several links, enjoyed several blogs and then saw I'm mormon ..... thrifty, fun, and fashion it must be something they put in the RS fruit punch , cause we all seem to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i also love spray paint. i re-did bathroom vanity light fixtures- no problem-o!

    AND i couldn't find another pair of matching shoes for one of my 3 bridesmaids....we spraypainted her own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did the EXACT same thing in my house! We replaced shiney brass knobs with oil rubbed bronze ones. I didn't mind replacing the knobs b/c I didn't want to worry about whether spray paint would hold up since knobs get a lot of wear. But the hinges don't get much wear, so I removed one per door to paint which kept me from removing the door from the hinges. I rubbed the hinges down with a good de-greasing cleaner and an old dry wash cloth, then sprayed them w/brownish primer, then 2 coats of the oil rubbed bronze spray paint. I stuck my screws into a piece of styrofoam that I happened to have on hand to spray paint them. I topcoated everything with Krylon satin-finish crystal clear spray-on poly. I used thin coats of paint and allowed each coat to dry completely before applying the next coat. Then I let them cure for at least 24 hours after last coat. It was super easy---I had mine set up in in the garage in the GA heat so things dried quickly, and I would just shoot on another coat of paint whenever I was running to or from the van on my way to run errands. While it took a number of steps, I just did it on my way to and from. I wanted to be sure the paint would adhere & wouldn't chip off. It has been over 18 months--we have 3 kids of our own plus many other guests in & out of the house all the time & it has held up perfectly. I think you would have to be ultra careful painting doorknobs especially if your house has a lot of traffic, but the hinges are an easy paint job and if you have a 3-story house with lots of doors, it can save you a lot of $$$!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for your all great explanation, I liked reading this. Total Clean
    Door Hinge

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely wanted to post a quick word in order to express gratitude to you for these remarkable advice you are sharing at this site. My prolonged internet research has at the end been recognized with wonderful facts to go over with my family and friends. I 'd declare that we website visitors actually are very much endowed to exist in a very good website with many marvellous people with valuable plans. I feel rather lucky to have seen your entire website and look forward to some more fun moments reading here. Thanks once again for all the details. front door handles

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for sharing beautiful information with us about door handles
    i hope you will share some more info about door handles
    please keep share
    pull handles

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing the useful information. It was really amazing and very informative. Keep sharing
    Visit Designed4Doors for Rim knobs we might have just the range you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's really value able. Thanks for helping most of your visitors
    See more...

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's best knowledge shared on this topic. I have never seen such accurate post
    read more..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing this amazing post.
    see more

    ReplyDelete

  16. its nice to be here.keep posting such content
    click here

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing this amazing information.
    Read More..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing article. keep posting such great content on daily basis it literally attracts us all the time to your blog
    See more..

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great platform that for such nice information.
    visit website

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks very informative. Do check out more info at:
    thanks! our website

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm happy I found this blog.
    thanks! website

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing work.
    keep it up. for more information visit this link

    ReplyDelete

  23. Nice info see this keep up the good work.
    eddy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails