Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Spray Painted Pillows

Why YES, You may think by the title of this post that I have taken a trip to the LOONEY BIN!  That I have finally taken my spray painting obsession hobby just a little TOO far! 

But wait till you see this:

Now are YOU a believer too?

I found THIS post over at V and Co (boy I love that gal--she has got CRAZY awesome taste and talent!  If you have not ever been to her blog--you MUST go DIRECTLY to her blog--after reading mine that is--and see all the awesome stuff she does!  Luv her!!) 

Anyhoo--She had this tutorial for spray painting up some awesome pillows.  And since I LOVE spray painting--and I also happen to be in the market for some pillows that I want for my living room and NOBODY on this planet seems to be selling what I want in pillow form OR in fabric!  (I decided to start on my outdoor patio pillows to practice first before I attempt the living room ones).  So I believe it was destiny that  we found each other I found her blog!  Now I can MAKE EXACTLY WHAT I WANT!!!  And for PENNIES!!!  Really once you start this process and see how easy it is...the possibilities are endless!

***I am adding this little side note because I have had MANY questions regarding the WASH and WEAR of these pillows.  SO--as far as washing--I have washed them--laid them flat to dry--and ironed them on the non painted side--and they come out PERFECT!  And as far as the WEAR of the fabric--It does make the fabric SLIGHTLY stiffer--so instead of soft cotton fabric--it feels more like an uphostery weight fabric.  I have rubbed and scuffed and scratched at the paint--and it does not flake or chip off  in any way.  Again--I used a light weight COTTON fabric.  If you are unsure about your fabric--you can always do a test piece first before you go full throttle ahead.***


OK--so I am going to show you what I did to create MY new outdoor pillows.  I had just purchased these old ones at a garage sale--but thought that it could use something brighter out here. 


The black ones I think will look better in the winter. So I decided to make covers for these same pillows and then I can have a winter and a summer look!

So this is what I started with:


Some Freezer Paper
Some Spray Paint
Some White Cotton Fabric
Painters Tape
Scissors 

First I measured my 3 pillows and cut out the fabric in squares to match--mine happened to be 15".  So I cute 3 squares at 15" and then 6 of 15" by 10" for the backs (the 2 smaller pieces get overlapped in the back to create the opening for the pillow to go through).

Next I traced around different size cups onto the non shiny side of the freezer paper to get my circles for both my circle pillows. 

Then I cut them out and laid them onto my fabric to decide on the pattern.

(Sorry the next few pictures are SO BAD--I am still without my camera and relying on my phone camera in BAD lighting without a flash!!!  AAARRRGGG!!!!)

So for the first pillow I wanted a grid of circles--so I found the center of the square and pressed my first circle there SHINY SIDE DOWN (The shiny side is the GLUEY side) and then measured up an inch and added another circle.


Then I moved on to the next rows and did the same thing until the square was full. 

Then it was off to the garage for some paint!


Just regular spray paint--again--notice the spray painting trigger!  LOVE THAT THING!!


I applied 2 light coats--trying to keep it as even as possible.


When I thought it looked good--I just peeled off the freezer paper.


Then I sewed it up into a slipcover and now it looks like this:


SO CUTE!!

Next I did the striped one using painters tape.

I just placed a clear ruler on top of my fabric and then followed the straight edge while laying down the tape every half inch. 


Because I wanted to try 2 colors--I then taped OVER every other whites space so that I could then paint those stripes a different color.


Then I spray painted the first color over all the white stripes.


Then I took off the second layer of tape and then repositioned it over the lines I just sprayed (once it had dried).  And then sprayed the second color over those lines.


When I took off the tape I realized that I must not have pressed the tape down well enough after I ripped off the tape after the first painting--because the second color bled through quite a bit. 


But after looking at it for about 2 seconds--I realized that I LOVED IT LIKE THAT!!!  The bleeding kind of gives it a fun water color look--which I think adds some dimension and whimsy--AND by loving it I don't have to REDO it!!  (There are advantages to looking on the bright side of things when mistakes happen!)

And now it looks like this:

The third pillow was almost identical to the first--I just did the circles in a more random pattern and used different size circles.

Cut out the freezer paper circles.  Iron them on:


Spray Paint:


After a second coat--peel off the paper:


Make it into a pillow:


And THAT is how I made all of these BEAUTIES:





I LOVE how they turned out!  And I LOVE how I can now have different pillows for the different seasons!  AND it only cost me a couple cans of spray paint--(which I didn't even use that much, so I have lots left over for other fun projects!)

And NOW that we all know that we can SPRAY PAINT FABRIC--THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!!!!!

So in REVIEW:  Here You Have it:

My Winter Look:


My Summer Look:


I'll just say this once again,

SPRAY PAINT MAKES ME HAPPY!


Linking up to the parties listed in my LINK UP LIST found HERE.

86 comments:

  1. I love this! I think it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea! I love these pillows!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might be my favorite thing you've done! So great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGosh, I {heart} these!!! Bahama Sea is my illicit passion. :D What kind of cotton, heavy or thin? ((fellow CSI crafter))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spray paint makes me happy too! These pillows are fantastic, I love the watery effect too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh... these are amazing! They look like high end product to me! I love your choice of colours too. Fun!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look terrific, what a fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this concept, too, and used it recently to make some outdoor pillows myself. Yours turned out terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute, cute, and cute! i've definitely got to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a clever idea! Your new pillows are BEAUTIFUL! They turned out SOOO good -- and thanks for the great tutorial, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Most excellent idea and it worked out great! I am going to have to try this and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool. I'll bet it'll wear well for outdoors also.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a super cool idea! I love that you have winter pillows and summer pillows - so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aesome! I will feature these at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com today! Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spray paint makes me happy too! thank you for such a detailed tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sharon! I am in LOVE with these pillows! What a great idea, so easy and so inexpensive. You could have so much fun changing them up! CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sooooo fabulous!!! Thanks for sharing it with us!!! I'm featuring this on Friday, so come check yourself out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did a super job. Go spray paint! I really like the combination of dots and stripes. I'd love if you'd link this with Fabric Fun Thursday :).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! You really can spray paint anything. These look great and I love your bench. Thanks for visiting my blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a cute idea! I found you on the CSI Project and am your newest follower. Feel free to drop by~ http://adventuresincreating.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Sharon -

    Not only is spray paint a great idea for painting anything, but perfect for outdoor decor as it holds up beautifully. V and Co. does have some great ideas. Yours look like designer fabrics. I can see why you are so happy with how they came out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a cute idea. . I have spray painted about everything but fabric. I will try this. so cute

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cute. Great job! I started a new link party today and this would be perfect. Come link up. :)

    http://beckywaldrop.blogspot.com/2010/07/knock-it-off.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ok, I think this is an ingenious idea! But I have to show the post to my husband that thinks that I am a paint spray nut. Just be warned, my words will be "See honey, I'm not the only crazy spray painter!" Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great project! And so cute! Thanks forf sharing...I spray paint a lot of things but haven't tried fabric yet!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Too cute! I will promptly be trying this out with a pillow I've been hoarding for months trying to figure out how to decorate. Love this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, that is super cool. Are the pillows crunchy?

    ReplyDelete
  28. The fabric does get a bit stiff where you have spray painted--but not unmanageably so. I would not probably use this for a pillow that you sleep on. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am bookmarking this post NOW! I know I will want to look back at this again for inspiration. I am thinking pillows, but then tablecloths, lampshades maybe? Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great idea! It's nice to be able to make any kind of fabric you want!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those are WAY too cute! I'd love to make some for myself, one more project on my list can't hurt, right?

    Thanks for linking up to We Did It! Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow what a cool idea! is there a pillow sham sewing tutorial I can follow? I'm a beginning sewer.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very cute...and the possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my word! How great do they look!! Outdoor pillows are on my list of to-do's. I'm putting your pillows in the PoPP Spotlight this Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I saw this on the CSI project. You were in my top 5. I love this! Thanks for linking up to Great Idea Day. I just scored about 30 jars of spray paint for $5.00 at a yard sale. I might have to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You can spray paint fabric???? Yea!!!!! :) I LOVE these pillows! What a great (cheap) way to get the exact look you want!

    (Saw you on CSI)

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am loving these pillows......I have a spray paint obsession too:) Will DEF have to give these a try next!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love the pillows and what a great idea!! Yes I'm a believer now and a new follower :) Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  40. SO cute! Love the spraypaint pillows- such a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Who would have ever thought about spray painting your pillow cases? I know I would not have! This is such a fabulous idea! So much talent in blog land.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow! who new you could spray paint a pillow slipcover. You did a great job.

    http://www.suzydinspired.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm with you, I love V and Co. too! your pillows turned out great! I just started a link party and I would LOVE it if you'd consider adding your crafts to it! I'm having flower headband giveaway as part of our first party too! http://imtopsyturvy.com/index.php/2010/07/topsy-turvy-tuesdays-1/

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love spray paint and this just confirms it!!! They look stunning! Wonderfully creative job!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Those turned out so cute! Even the "mistake" turned out fabulously!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I just found you through The CSI Project! Yay!
    First of all: Thank you so much for this post! It had occurred to me that it might be possible to do this and I've been meaning to try it.
    About the photos: I have been playing around with Picasa lately and it is so easy to add fill light or ramp up the highlights if you have a dark photo. It's also easy to straighten pics and add text and all these things I never knew. I love it!
    Please drop by Vintage Suitcase Friday and link up one of your amazing ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is fabulous...love the pillows! My mind is racing with ideas for spray painting my pillows.
    Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  48. Darn, I can't get away from your blog! Loved the haircutting tips for boys. I perch them in front of the TV, but not the lollipops!

    And these are great pillows. I need to sew a slipcover for my pillows on my garden bench (http://www.prettyhandygirl.com/2010/07/turning-craigs-list-bed-frame-into.html) that some cat or squirrel is tearing apart! I wonder if spray paint is an animal repellent too?!

    Brittany
    http://www.prettyhandygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. Great idea...love the color choices of the spray paint...well done

    ReplyDelete
  50. I heart spray paint too! Can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  51. SO cute! I would have never thought to use spraypaint on fabric. I love, love, love it!

    http://minorimperfectionsbykat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. These look amazing!! I never would have thought to use spray paint like this, thanks for the idea!!!
    lifeofperks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  53. These are the coolest pillows! Who would have ever thought of spray painting pillows!

    Kelli
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  54. What a great way to make custom fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
  55. These look great!!! Do you know whether it would still be possible to wash them?

    ReplyDelete
  56. What a great idea. I think I will try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Found you at the CSI project, and I think that this is a fabulous idea!! But I never would have thought to do that! Thanks for sharing :]

    ReplyDelete
  58. That is amazing! It looks so clean and awesome. I never would have thought to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Loving that spray paint trigger--I'll be it keeps your fingertip from going absolutely numb! (not to mention messy)

    How stiff is the fabric after spraying and are they washable, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  60. Those are so cute! Good luck on the CSI challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  61. These are super cute! I was wondering if spray painting fabric was possible.

    ReplyDelete
  62. thanks for sharing. I am following you now so I will check back to get idead for my house I will be moving into in a few months. I can't wait to change things up!

    ReplyDelete
  63. I love this! I will be featuring it on crazydomestic.com on Tuesday, Aug 24th. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Those pillows are fantastic! I used simply spray fabric spray paint on my pillows. I did not know you could use regular paint. I used burnt orange got it here: http://www.simplyspray.com Yours are much more fancy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  65. I love these pillows and the idea you can spray paint fabric. Imagine the possibilities. I personally keep several cans of spray paint on hand at all times because it is so useful, but I never imagined it was THIS useful. I will definitely have to try this. Thanks
    April @ homehinges.com

    ReplyDelete
  66. I am sorry this comment is so late, but when I saw this post in your sidebar, I had to do a double-take! This is freaking awesome, I LOVE your results, who knew! I was worried they would stick to bare skin though, like when hubby sits against them with no shirt on, not that big a deal, just wondering. Thanks for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  67. Young lady, YOU are DELIGHTFUL! Such Cute ideas and your enthusiasm is catching. I am enjoying your blog so very much. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  68. Trying this... NOW! :)
    They came out great.
    Who knew?!

    ~ Meredith From A Mother Seeking A Mother Seeking...

    My City Backyard Garden

    ReplyDelete
  69. Great post. These spray-painted pillows are cool and creative. Thanks for sharing. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  70. This is really cool! I have some fancy box curtains over my windows that I just hate... they are a silk material... do you think this would work on those as well?

    ReplyDelete
  71. How about upolstered furniture? Do you think you could spray paint it?

    ReplyDelete
  72. I did not expect it to be that easy to do. I thought it would pose a hardship or something of that sort if I wanted to try doing it for my place. This sure is tempting.

    Discount Canvas Prints

    ReplyDelete
  73. While giving the massage to the customer do keep in mind the bed on which you are giving the massage to the customer is well or not. Also , check the other Spa Parts whether they are in good working condition or not so that the customer will get satisfactory massage and bath in the Spa.

    ReplyDelete
  74. Thank you for sharing this interesting and informative article, painting with airless spray gun will be faster and more interesting!

    regards,
    Airless Spray Gun

    ReplyDelete
  75. Thank you for sharing this interesting and informative article, painting with airless spray gun will be faster and more interesting!



    Airless Spray Gun

    ReplyDelete
  76. I am John from US, your information is Awesome i like this. if anyone looking best and Cheap but Top Quality Phone cases that Now click on this link,
    Galaxy S9 Cases

    ReplyDelete
  77. This is a general overview of some key aspects to consider when looking for the best pillow to fit your needs. best pillow for sleeping in india

    ReplyDelete
  78. Thank You for sharing Such an Amazing Article!! I would Love to share in Wall Painters in Gurgaon Group

    ReplyDelete
  79. Hi,

    We’re techie minds involved in creative & automotive marketing. If you're looking to create your own marketing team or need any services related to it, please feel free to get in touch with us to know about our strategy & tactics.

    Connect for free strategy - bit.ly/dc-rq

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails