Thursday, April 8, 2010

Headboard for $1

Here is yet another steal of a deal that I picked up at my friends $1 thrift store. (Yes you heard my right--I got this beauty for 1 dollar!!!!)
I LOVE THAT STORE!! I am a little bit addicted to it!!!
ANYWAYS, I found what I thought was a beautiful, yet very scratched up headboard and thought it had potential so I bought it. When I got it home my hubby informed me that it was actually a FOOT BOARD not a HEAD BOARD. But being the clever little guy that he is--said he would do some magic and make it into a headboard.
So--this is the bare bones of what he came up with--just using stuff we already had (OK--so I fibbed just a little--we had some plywood at home but it had been outside so it was a little gross looking--so instead of using our plywood he did buy some new stuff--but it wouldn't have cost us anymore if we would have used the stuff on hand).
Since we were planning on painting it white to match our room, he wanted to keep a nice white edge all the way down to the floor on the sides--so if any of it was peaking out behind the bed you wouldn't see the plywood. So he used some pieces of white MDF that we had on hand and screwed them and the headboard all into the plywood at the back.



My hubby sanded and primed it--and I painted it and POOF--we have a NEW HEADBOARD!

This is the very first time in my whole life that I have had a headboard of any variety.
I feel SO grown up in a big girls bed!!!

And THANK YOU my hubby--for making it all possible!
(I love you and your mad carpenter skills!)
Dollar Deals Make Me HAPPY!

I am linking up to THESE parties.

30 comments:

  1. It's so beautiful! I agree that a headboard equals a grown up bed. I'll get there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it! I am super impressed and jealous to be honest, I've never had a headboard (or a footboard for that matter!) either. I love it, it looks SO great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon, you are soooo spoiled. I love the "headboard" and think your husband is very talented. From Donna Clark (Heather's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your big-girl bed! It turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and your hubby both did a great job! And, I am totally jealous of your $1 thrift store!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, $1 is just as good as FREE!!! It looks great!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great thrifty make over. I love finding and re-doing such great treasures. I too just did a headboard. And like you had never had one of my very own. Great job. Thanks for sharing. Karie @ kariechiccreations

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's just gorgeous, and it looks as good as a designer one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great footboard into headboard transformation! It think it looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE it!! You can't beat $1.00 for such a beautiful piece of furniture. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a deal!! I wish we had a $1 thrift store here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it looks great and what a steal! ONE DOLLAR who can belive that! you could never tell that it was orignally a footboard!

    come check out my blog, im hosting my first giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This turned out beautiful! I'm sending a link to my sister in law who is trying to decorate a new home on a tight budget :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is really awesome! I can't believe it was one dollar! Very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW it looks gorgeous against your room wall color and the white gives it a fresh look.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now this caught my eye on the CSI project link party. Wow, that looks so amazing! What a find you got for $1! This should be an inspiration for anyone out there on a budget! Who says you have to pay designer prices to get the designer look? This is a perfect example. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We so desperately need a headboard - haven't had one since we married 10 years ago. This is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks fantastic! And I can't believe it was only $1!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! It looks incredible! I wish I had a $1 thrift store near me! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! What a deal for only $1 and your transformation makes it great! I've never heard of a dollar thrift store. I wish we had one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is great!! Wish I had a thrift store like that!! How did you hang this--is it screwed into the wall?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your headboard looks fabulous. So creative and what a great find. Love the look. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks fantastic, and for a $1!!!!! Wow, hats off to you!
    lifeofperks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! That is super! I need a headboard so bad...but I want a deal like this. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is beautiful! I love it. I need a headboard too!! Gotta stay creative! ;)
    homemakin-decoratin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Where is this magical $1 thrift store?

    ReplyDelete
  27. New to blogger land....but I'm so super excited I came across your blog!!! I love all of your projects!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing makeover.... and I'm with Jennifer, where is this thrift store??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails