Monday, November 8, 2010

SAMM--Corn Chowder

Today for my SAMM link up--I am doing one of our LONG TIME FAMILY FAVORITES--Corn Chowder.  This chowder has been in our family for generations!  And has been our traditional Christmas Eve dinner for as long as I can remember.  It is one of those SUPER AWESOME HOME COOKED MEALS that just remind you about everything that is good and homey. 

 It is really easy to make--but for some reason I don't make it often enough.  I think it is because it was always made at special occasions growing up--that I don't think of it as an everyday meal.  But it is SOOO good that it should be!  And you HAVE to serve it with some warm--just out of the oven--dinner rolls.  DIVINE!

So with no further ado--Here it is:

Corn Chowder
6-8 Slices of Bacon
1 can corn
1can cream corn
1 small onion chopped
1/4 flour
2 c chicken broth
1 c water
2 c potatoes cubed
2 c celery
1 dash tobasco sauce
2 c milk
Fry bacon and crumble into pieces.  Also fry the onions, celery.  Then add the flour and toss with bacon, celery and onions.  Put milk in a big pot and add everything else (besides the bacon mixture).  Bring to a boil gradually.  Stir in bacon mixture and cook until the potatoes are done.  Serve with rolls.

Doesn't it look dreamy?

And because I am SO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW BACKSPASH--I just couldn't resist this next picture:

And yes I am cheating and using Rhodes rolls tonight.  I know--it is neither thrifty nor domestic.  But it is easy--and sometimes that wins over all.

5 comments:

  1. YUM!! We eat this all the time, but it is also what we make on halloween - although i add a few chopped carrots and we call it candy corn soup. You've got the white potatoes, the yellow corn and the orange carrots - Candy Corn! The kids love it and it's a quick easy meal that helps keep them warm while trick-or-treating. It's tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks yummy. I made cream of potato soup today. Will be posting it on my blog soon. Maybe we could do a soup swap. lol I love corn chowder & that was actually the game plan before I realized I had no corn in the house. (hanging head in shame)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey rhodes are awsome and I say good enough for pioneer woman good enough for me right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! When I saw your post I almost cried because it brought back so many memories of eating corn chowder with grandma! I'm glad to see you've kept the tradition and shared such a great family recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just tried out the recipie. It was awsome. My family loved it. I put it in the crock pot this morning and it was ready for dinner after all the piano lessons. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails