Monday, December 6, 2010

Dollar Store Ornament Wreath

Sorry--It has been FOREVER since I posted!
We have had a rough few weeks as of late.  My Father in Law passed away a few weeks ago--so I haven't had the time, nor did I feel like posting.  But we are doing better and I did just complete a fun project with a friend the other day that I am IN LOVE WITH!  So I thought I would share it.

It is nothing new to blogger land.  In fact you have probably seen them EVERYWHERE.

I got my ideas from HERE, HERE and HERE.

So I went to the dollar store and picked up some round plastic ornaments.  Then my awesome friend Tiffany and I hot glued all the tops onto the ornaments so they wouldn't pop off during construction.

Here's Tiff wielding her gun:

And of course I didn't remember to take any other pictures of us assembling the wreath--I was just too darn excited about how it was coming together.  But the gist of it is that you unwind a wire coat hanger--or find some thicker gauge wire and shape it into a  circle.  Then you string the ornaments onto the wire. 
You just keep adding ornaments and try and cluster them how you like them by rotating them around the wire.  It is important to do the positioning of them while you go as they get much harder to move when they are all sandwiched together.

You finish stringing them till you have the desired size you want.  Then you twist the ends of the wire together at the top and add a bow and a loop for hanging.

And this is what it will look like: 

I hung it on the side of my entry way and then decided I really wanted it on my door.  So I went and bought a wreath hanger and so then it looked like this:


But then--our door decided it didn't like the door hanger and wouldn't close properly.  So then I went to the store and bought some knifty little suction cup hooks that I could put on my glass window to hang the wreath.

So now it looks like this: 


And as a bonus--my door now closes!

And by hanging it on the door--I was able to do a little more decorating. 
Do you remember this little tree from HERE?


Well--I think it looks SO CUTE all deocrated with some more dollar store ornaments.


All the ornaments and ribbon and everything cost me about $8 at the dollar store.  And it was such a quick and easy project to do.  Honestly--the hardest part of the whole project was finding a wire coat hanger!  So if anyone has any wire coat hangers hanging around--I may be able to make some more of these babies! 

10 comments:

  1. It is very beautiful and inexpensive as well! :)

    Adin B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great wreath and I love the tree too! I going to go get some and make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry for the loss of a loved one. Thanks for the neat wreath idea, I will have to take a dry cleaner hanger and make one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely adorable! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon,

    I'm so sorry to hear about your FIL. You and your husband are in my thoughts.

    And, I do love that wreath! Wow, good price for a great decoration.

    Brittany
    http://www.prettyhandygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about Tim's dad.

    Glad you're back! We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear of your loss. We lost my father-in-law two years ago Thanksgiving. My thoughts are with your family. The decoration & the wreath look awesome! Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, it looks great! And I love what you did with the tree next to the door.

    I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law. That has got to be unbelievably tough for your husband and you. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Weilding!!! Hahaha I loved your idea so much, after I left your house, I went straight to the Dollar Store and got enough to make one for our house, and enough so that the kids make 1 each for their bedroom doors! Thank you for inspiring us once again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails